Re: Telugu Unicode Encoding Review

From: Kiran Kumar Chava (chavakiran@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2010 - 14:40:22 CDT

    On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org> wrote:

    > Kiran Kumar Chava wrote:
    >
    > Open issues:
    >> 1. Telugu danda and double danda are to be encoded.
    >> (I saw some discussions of this here and there, but none conclusive. A
    >> decision made?)
    >>

    > Use the Devanagari danda and double danda (U+0964 and U+0965) for all Indic
    > scripts in the blocks below U+1000. This has been the recommendation from
    > the beginning, and is well documented in Unicode 5.2, Section 9.1 (page
    > 275).
    >

    > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Thanks Doug for pointing out.
    discussion.

    I just couldn't understand the misery in saving two code points by forcing
    font developers to use devanagari code points for Telugu script.

    The following are problems I am seeing
    1. This double danda in Telugu script is used for other purposes, like
    abbreviations, pre and post Pallavi of a song, (see page 32 of
    http://te.chavakiran.com/blog/?p=774 this pdf. ) ,, || 2|| to say this line
    is to be sung twice (page 46 of http://te.chavakiran.com/blog/?p=774 pdf)
    2. What are we going to do for sorting?
    3. Telugu font developers may not even know they need to insert these in
    devangari block.

    Is there a link to previous discussion on this unification && dis
    unification of danda signs?

    Thanks and Regards,
    Kiran Kumar Chava
    http://chavakiran.com