Re: Best smart phones & apps for diverse scripts?

From: Leonardo Boiko (leoboiko@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2010 - 19:45:05 CDT

    On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 22:27, Deborah Goldsmith <goldsmit@apple.com> wrote:
    > iPhone 4 supports Unicode in SMS messages. Furthermore, the SMS standard provides for Unicode in messages:

    Only UTF-16 though, which brings SMS’s already appaling low 160/140
    character limit to a measly 70. Not a problem if you’re writing
    Chinese or Japanese, but if you’re writing, say, Spanish, or English
    with a single symbol requiring you to engage Unicode mode, you’re back
    to telegram age. I don’t know in your countries, but here the price
    per SMS really bites…

    --
    Leonardo Boiko