Re: First posting to list: Unicode.org: unicode - punycode converter tool?

From: Markus Scherer (markus.icu@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 30 2010 - 10:28:57 CDT

    On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 6:34 AM, JP Blankert (thuis & PC based) <
    jpblankert@zonnet.nl> wrote:

    > But one feedback I am missing: how to convert a word like 'Straße' into
    > punycode? I normally use the IDN Verisign converter,
    > http://mct.verisign-grs.com/, but that dissolves ß straight into
    > ss....so...
    > 1) is it possible to enter a whole word in unicode in order to have it
    > converted into punycode?
    > 2) if not: how convert into punycode?

    Use a library. For example, the upcoming version 4.6 of ICU will have a UTS
    #46 implementation, and the nontransitional setting will preserve ß. As a
    preview, you can try milestone 2 of this release:
    http://site.icu-project.org/download/452

    The online ICU IDNA demo has not yet been updated beyond IDNA2003.

    markus