RE: square bullets added to unicode.

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2011 - 00:04:32 CST

    Various people have indicated at one time or another that they would work on a proposal to encode wingdings, etc. But I haven't seen any such proposals submitted yet.

    Of course, if an when such symbols get encoded in Unicode, there will just be a different problem to sort out: today, you can interchange text meaningfully with someone else so long as the Wingdings (or Webdings, etc. as appropriate) font is used. It doesn't work for plain text, but it evidently works reasonably well with rich text (since the font formatting is retained). But once in Unicode, data using the new character will not be interchangeable with the large amount of legacy data out there.

    Peter