Re: On the possibility of encoding some localizable sentences inplane 7

From: dzo@bisharat.net
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 07:08:48 CST

    This reminds me of an idea to encode all words, which was briefly discussed on this list a couple of years ago. There was not much enthusiasm for the idea, as I recall, and some good reasons not to pursue it.

    In the case of sentences, there could be endless debate on the choice of subjects, and then complications on the linguistic and cultural level for fixing equivalents in other languages for sentences that might seem obvious in whatever language (English?) that one starts with.

    In any event, an alternative would be a kind of dynamic composition of localized sentences (starting with any sentence one may put together for localization) using complex sets of algorithms, and in which the role of Unicode would be limited to the character level.