Re: Localizable sentences (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 11:07:57 CST

    On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Ed <ed.trager@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Alternatively the English speaker could take a one-month class in
    > Italian, or purchase a set of Pimsleur CDs to listen to while driving
    > to work, or purchased Rosetta Stone language-learning software, or
    > hire an attractive Italian for private tutorials ...
    >
    > Hmmm ... personally I think that last idea makes the most sense :-)
    >
    > Google Translate is somewhat useful for certain language pairings, but
    > it can also be quite awful.  In any case, Google Translate is *much*
    > more useful when one already has at least some knowledge of a foreign
    > language and so can make an informed decision about whether the
    > translation offered by Google is acceptable or just pure bunk.

    I think spending a year learning languages for a month's tour of
    Europe is a bit unproductive. I suspect if you made a program that was
    geared towards translating tourist phrases--a mildly enhanced computer
    version of a Berlitz guide--it would do quite a bit better on them
    then Google Translate.

    --
    Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.