RE: On the possibility of encoding some localizable sentences in plane 7 (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2011 - 01:18:15 CST

  • Next message: William_J_G Overington: "Re: On the possibility of encoding some localizable sentences in plane 7 (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)"

    On Friday 28 January 2011, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org> wrote:

    > William_J_G Overington <wjgo underscore 10009 at btinternet dot com> wrote:
    >
    > > Indeed. It could be a great project for the Unicode community with input from many people in order to produce a magnificent system that could be of great use.
    >
    > Yeah.  That's what Unicode is all about. Inventing something from scratch.
    >
    > <plonk />

    Well, participation would be purely voluntary. If people who are interested managed to produce a system that was helpful for people to communicate across language barriers, then I feel that that would be beneficial generally and would do no harm to Unicode and could even be good for Unicode.

    Please consider the emoji. Before they were encoded into Unicode 6.0 the codepoints that they now occupy were unused. Now those codepoints are used. Unicode has produced something useful in those codepoints where there was nothing there previously.

    The whole of Unicode has been about producing progress by inventing something from where there was nothing before.

    William Overington