Re: n4012 Proposal to encode additional playing card characters in the UCS [was: Three modest proposals]

From: Frédéric Grosshans (frederic.grosshans@m4x.org)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2011 - 11:16:11 CDT

    Le vendredi 01 avril 2011 à 19:10 +0100, Michael Everson a écrit :

    > Proposal to encode additional playing card characters in the UCS
    > http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n4012.pdf

    I have a few comments on this proposal.

    1. PLAYING CARD FOOL
    Your chart contains
            1F0E0 🃠 PLAYING CARD FOOL
            â€¢ variously trump-0 or trump-22
            â€¢ not a joker
    but your text didn't explicit it. By reading your text, I was wondering
    which joker could represent the French "excuse", before finding it in
    your chart. You could also add an annotation in the chart at the 1F0F6
    position (non existing trump-22), referring back to the 1F0E0 position,
    similar to what already exists for the 2072 and 2073 positions

    2. French Tarot
    You can also add "French playing card sets (Tarot)" to the German and
    Italian one. It is still widely played, at least until my generation
    (born in the mid 1970's). Like in the German tradition, the esoteric
    images are replaced by pastoral scenery on playing games (see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_tarot for some examples). It is
    actually a way to distinguish cartomancy decks from playing decks.
    Playing tarot with a cartomancy deck, while possible, would feel very
    strange for me...

    The wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot is also an
    interesting read for the ones interested by these Tarot cards