Re: which scripts are written vertically

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri May 13 2011 - 22:38:46 CDT

    On 5/10/2011 1:19 PM, fantasai wrote:
    > There's a Unicode FAQ on the Unicode website:
    > http://unicode.org/faq/bidi.html
    > The second question is
    > "Which scripts are written vertically?"
    >
    > But the answer given does not answer the question. The only script
    > it lists explicitly is Mongolian; the rest of the text is just some
    > background information on what vertical layout might entail.

    That's fine - the FAQ is not the place to provide definite script
    properties, and certainly, not the place to give lists that need to be
    kept in synch as additional scripts are encoded.

    > I would actually like to have a definitive answer to this question. :)

    If you are asking for a definite Unicode property applying to scripts,
    that would a different matter. If such a property existed, it would be
    something that would be appropriate for reference by external standards
    and specifications, just in case you might be aiming at some use like
    that. To request/suggest the addition of such a listing, you need to
    provide a workable and clear cut definition of "are writen vertically"
    and propose it using the contact form you can find on the website.

    I think "Multi-paragraph texts in vertical writing are common in modern
    texts, using digital layout" is what you are after for the definition.

    A./

    PS: I suspect that such a property would actually be actually useful,
    except that there are precious few properties that apply strictly on the
    script level in Unicode.