Slots for Cyrillic Accented Vowels

From: Plamen Tanovski (pgt@tanovski.de)
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 02:56:40 CDT

    Hi,

    while almost every possible accented latin vowel has its own slot,
    cyrillic accented vowels are missing in the unicode tables, except for
    two of them. I think, using combined diacritics is not an option, for
    at least two reasons: 1. text editing and processing is very difficult
    and erroneous; one has to pay attention to two characters; for
    example: if the vowel is deleted, the accent goes to the previous
    sign, etc.; 2. quality typesetting is almost impossible, because the
    font has to provide all the data (contextual alternatives and mark
    positioning) for the right placing of the accent, and I suppose
    99,9% of the cyr. fonts don't provide this information.

    So it is very urgent to propose the including of accented cyrillic
    vowels in the unicode. I think the combinations with grave and acute
    accents are enough, so we are talking here about 40 slots after all.

    best regards

    --
    Plamen Tanovski
    Tanovski & Partners Publishing Services