Re: North Indic Fractions etc.

From: Karl Williamson (public@khwilliamson.com)
Date: Mon Jun 06 2011 - 13:37:24 CDT

    On 6/6/2011 4:57 AM, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
    > On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
    >> Is there a reason why the North Indic fractions and Aegean numbers and
    >> measures
    >> are not assigned to any scripts in the ScriptExtensions.txt file?
    >>
    >> I don't really know what list of scripts they should belong to, but they
    >> don't
    >> seem very "Common".
    >
    > I don't know about Aegean but North Indic fractions are used in
    > multiple North Indian scripts including Devanagari. Please read:
    > http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3367.pdf (from
    > http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pandey/)
    >
    > And perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of "common" -- it doesn't
    > mean they are common in usage. It means that they are common to more
    > than one script, whether in frequent use or rare use.

    And perhaps it is you who misunderstood the original post.
    ScriptExtensions is a new provisional file in 6.0 that lists code points
    in the Common and Inherited Scripts that are used in only a few scripts.
      For each of those code points, it lists the scripts they are found in.
      So the original question is quite valid. Code points that are used in
    more than one, but only a few scripts should be in listed in that file.
      fantasai wants to know why these particular ones aren't there. I
    myself don't know the answer.