Re: Sanskrit nasalized L

From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 07:11:19 +0530

On 18-06-2011 00:40, Vinodh Rajan wrote:
> BTW I am still not able to display आँः& वाँः without the dotted circle in
> Windows 7:-)

Ouch! I'ven't had the chance to try out the rendering on Win 7. But it
seems it's still problematic.

Last time I complained about this on Unicore a couple months back Peter
Constable said "try out our latest software and then get back" -- maybe
he meant the developer version of Windows 8?

So when this kind of fudged rendering happens, font developers are
forced to create hacks in their rendering tables or other software --
Sanskrit 2003 uses a separate (non-combining) visarga in the PUA. Elmar
Kniprath's fonts use all sort of (strictly speaking) unnecessary
substitutions in the OT tables.

I would be willing to work with Microsoft to help them achieve proper
Vedic rendering correctly. I am already on the Harfbuzz mailing list for
FOSS, but then Windows is a different beast as it is closed-source.

--
Shriramana Sharma