Re: Unifon

From: Andreas Stötzner <as_at_signographie.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:40:36 +0200

Am 28.06.2011 um 09:43 schrieb Jean-François Colson:

> I’m interested in Unifon (http://www.unifon.org). That’s a phonemic alphabet for English which is used to teach reading.
> Although it has been encoded in the ConScript Unicode Registry as a new script in a three-columns block, it has in fact been designed as an extension of the Latin alphabet.
> Therefore, considering that three fifths of its letters are already available, I wonder whether a proposal shouldn’t be limited to the 16 missing letters.
> What’s your opinion?

Is there a real need for regular encoding?
If proposed as kind of extension to Latin there will be one issue at least to be considered carefully: Unifon does not fit the Latin Writing system since it is unicameral, not bicameral (as far as I can see).
By which I doubtlessly not intend at all to encourage any of the enthusiasts to think they ought now go to their desks and try to invent new lowercase glyphs.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

                        Andreas Stötzner.

»Der Bundestag möge beschließen, sich umfassend gegen den geplanten künftigen Europäischen Stabilitätsmechanismus – ESM – auszusprechen.«
https://epetitionen.bundestag.de/index.php?action=petition;sa=details;petition=18123

Andreas Stötzner
Gestaltung Signographie Fontentwicklung

Wilhelm-Plesse-Straße 32, 04157 Leipzig