Re: How is NBH (U0083) Implemented?

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 08:51:07 +0300

Naena Guru wrote:

> The Unicode character NBH (No Break Here: U0083) is understood as a
> hidden character that is used to keep two adjoining visual characters
> from being separated in operations such as word wrapping.

Applications may do so. The Unicode standard does not define the meaning of
NBH or other C1 Controls, see
http://unicode.org/uni2book/ch13.pdf

> There is also the NBSP (No-break Space: U00A0), which I think has to
> be mapped to the space character in fonts, that glues two letters
> together by a space.

NBSP has defined semantics in Unicode, but it can be implemented in
different ways (it could have a glyph of its own).

> NBH is more appropriate for use within ISO-8859-1 characters than
> ZWNJ, because the latter is double-byte.

ZWNJ is not an ISO-8859-1 character at all. In Unicode, it is a control
character that prevents the use of a ligature. The character to prevent line
breaking, with no other effect, is ZERO-WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE.

Whether NBH works at all really depends on the application, and I would not
expect applications to support it in practice, irrespective of character
encodings.

Yucca