Re: Sanskrit nasalized L

From: Andrew West <andrewcwest_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:57:37 +0100

On 16 August 2011 02:59, Richard Wordingham
<richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:

> All I've got to go on is the penultimate sentence in TUS 6.0 Section
> 10.2 - 'Rarely, stacks are seen that contain more than one such
> consonant-vowel combination in a vertical arrangement'.

<http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.0.0/ch10.pdf#G30110>

Which is followed immediately by the caveat:

"These stacks are highly unusual and are considered beyond the scope
of plain text rendering. They may be handled by higher-level
mechanisms".

> The Tibetan script doesn't have a combining virama. I would expect the
> natural coding to be something like letter-vowel-subjoined
> letter-vowel, e.g. <U+0F40 TIBETAN LETTER KA, U+0F74 TIBETAN VOWEL SIGN
> U, U+0FB2 TIBETAN SUBJOINED LETTER RA, U+0F74 TIBETAN VOWEL SIGN U>.

As the Unicode Standard explicitly states, non-standard stacks such as
this (which really are highly unusual, and only occur in a few
specific contexts) are outside the scope of plain text rendering, and
are not defined by the standard. It therefore makes no sense for you
to try to specify character sequences for such non-standard stacks.

Andrew