Re: RTL PUA?

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:36:19 -0400

On 08/19/2011 10:13 AM, Doug Ewell wrote:
> So your private agreement, in addition to specifying the meaning of your
> PUA characters and probably some sample glyphs, can also specify their
> properties, overriding the default properties.

I don't know if you can even do this. My understanding of the rendering
process is very sketchy, but I seem to recall that things like
directionality cannot be specified by a font or other easily
transmissible piece of information, but has to be baked into the
application or rendering engine itself. This severely limits the
utility of the PUA, if applications that use it have to be written from
scratch each time. At least with stuff that is font-dependent, you can
use ordinary word-processors that honor OpenType or Graphite or whatever.

~mark