Re: RTL PUA?

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:39:12 -0400

On 08/19/2011 12:39 PM, Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> And I grant you your point of free font making software being
> available, but still proper OT/Graphite/AAT tables have to be made (to
> render all those contextual forms in this conscript), which calls for
> some expertise at least. You would then say that this expertise is
> less than the expertise required to create a rendering engine. Ah well.

And he'd be right. Also the level of effort is not close to equal; a
rendering engine is a big undertaking, even for the simplest of changes,
while OT tables can be pretty simple (and I don't think they approach
the size of a rendering engine even at their most complicated.) Note
also that rendering engines, being farther down on the food chain, are
much more likely (even certain?) to need to be rewritten or heavily
modified for different platforms, while font tables are standard over
all of them. So font-changes are write-once, but rendering engines have
to be redone for different platforms.

~mark