Re: RTL PUA?

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 00:34:03 +0100

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:14:17 +0700
Martin Hosken <martin_hosken_at_sil.org> wrote:

> Therefore, I would suggest that a carefully allocated set of columns
> for non L directionality PUA characters be encoded. This PUA doesn't
> have to be big, with probably 1 column allocated per directionality.
> I'm no expert in the bidi algorithm, but my guess is that we only
> need a maximum of 5 columns and perhaps much less.

The Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic script, an RTL script of Bidi
mirrored characters, has a Unicode LTR script of Bidi unmirrored
characters for its modern representation that currently contains 1071
characters. However, I've seen a quote of about 6,000 different
Graeco-Roman period hieroglyphs, so actually writing hieroglyphic
Ancient Egyptian in plain text would need about 24 columns of
characters.

> I would value some input from Bidi experts on this.

I hope my input helps in the mean time. I for one couldn't say whether
the characters of the demotic Egyptian script should have a Bidi-class
of R or AL.

Richard.