Re: ARABIC LETTER KORANIC YEH WITH HAMZA

From: Lorna Priest <lorna_priest_at_sil.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:05:49 -0500

mmarx wrote:
> I am so pleased that there are some people on
> the list interested in RTL scripts after all.
>
> encoded are
> ARABIC LETTER YEH (U+064A) with two dots under the
> main part of the letter
> ييي ي
> ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH (U+06CC) with two dots under
> init and medi forms only
> ییی ی
> ARABIC LETTER ALEF MAKSURA' U+0649 without dots ىىى ى
> and
> ARABIC LETTER YEH WITH HAMZA ABOVE (U+0626)
> this letter has in "normal" Arabic no dots under
> the main part of the letter : ئئئ ئ
>
> As you can see on the picture there is a variants
> of this character that has dots in init and medi, and
> no dots in fina and isol. Should it be called
> ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH WITH HAMZA
> or
> ARABIC LETTER KORANIC YEH WITH HAMZA ?
> A third option (ARABIC LETTER MAGHRIBI KORANIC YEH
> WITH HAMZA) is not a good idea, because the letter
> although nowadays used in editions of the qur'an
> -for_ the Maghribi, it used to be used in the East
> as well. (I stress the "for", because the pictures
> in the attachment are from an edition printed in
> Medina.)
> In the Qur'an the hamza is not always above:
> if there is kasra on the letter, the hamza
> is below too.
>
> Is there someone preparing a proposal for
> missing Quranic characters or should one
> do it one by one?
My understanding when I was at the February UTC was that no more
characters "with hamza" will be accepted *unless* there is something
different about the shaping of the letter "with hamza" or if the letter
"with hamza" means something totally different than the normal hamza
purpose. Otherwise, it is expected that the hamza above or hamza below
will be sufficient.

I don't think this has been documented as yet.

Lorna