Re: Code pages and Unicode

From: John H. Jenkins <jenkins_at_apple.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:36:33 -0600

Christoph Päper 於 2011年8月20日 上午2:31 寫道:

> Mark Davis ☕:
>
>> Under the original design principles of Unicode, the goal was a bit more limited; we envisioned […] a generative mechanism for infrequent CJK ideographs,
>
> I'd still like having that as an option.

Et voilà! We have Ideographic Description Sequences. Or, if you're more ambitious, CDL.

Generative mechanisms for Han are very attractive given the nature of the script, but once you try to support something other than display, or even try to write a rendering engine, all sorts of nasty problems crop up that have proven difficult to solve. We won't even get into the problem of wanting to discourage people from making up new ad hoc characters for Han.

I won't say some sort of generative mechanism will never become the preferred way of handling unencoded ideographs, but there is a lot of work to be done before that would be practical.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins_at_apple.com