Re: RTL PUA?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:39:06 +0200

2011/8/22 Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>:
> Depending on how you count, there are already two to four fonts that
> support Ewellic in the PUA.  There are probably many more that support
> Tengwar or Cirth or Klingon.

First, these fonts can work fine with the default LTR directionality.
So there's no need for additional data for them. Second, even if they
were RTL, the needed info for each of these fonts, embedded in them
would be extremely small, reduced to just specifying the range of RTL
characters they need to contain.

So I don't see that as a problem. Those fonts do exist and are used
exactly because there was no problem for rendering them with texts
encoded in logical order (the same as the visual order). It's still
strange that we can have several fonts for esoteric fonts that have
been used effectively by very few people, when there are centuries of
traditions, and many interested users (but spread in very small
communities worldwide) that cannot use computer technologies to render
their favorite scripts, or that want to teach them, or make books and
other publications to expose them, as an important humane cultural
heritage, even if this was only to translate them or transcribe them
in a more modern script.