RE: Designing a format for research use of the PUA in a RTL mode (from Re: RTL PUA?)

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 07:22:20 -0700

William_J_G Overington <wjgo underscore 10009 at btinternet dot com>
wrote:

> Suppose that a  a "special researcher's edition" of a wordprocessing application or a desktop publishing application at start up looks in a specified directory for a file with the following file name.
>
> pua_major.txt
>
> If pua_major.txt exists, then it is opened and it is searched for a PUA.RTL assignment statement. If a PUA.RTL assignment statement is not found in the file, it is taken as if the following had been included in the file.
>
> PUA.RTL="";

Of all applications, a word processor or DTP application would want to
know more about the properties of characters than just whether they are
RTL. Line breaking, word breaking, and case mapping come to mind.

I would think the format used by standard UCD files, or the XML
equivalent, would be preferable to making one up:

E100;ENGSVANYALI LETTER P;Lo;0;R;;;;;N;;;;;
E101;ENGSVANYALI LETTER B;Lo;0;R;;;;;N;;;;;
E102;ENGSVANYALI LETTER M;Lo;0;R;;;;;N;;;;;

Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell ­