Re: PRI #202: Extensions to NameAliases.txt for Unicode 6.1.0

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 22:51:56 -0700

On 8/26/2011 7:52 PM, Benjamin M Scarborough wrote:
> Are name aliases exempted from the normal character naming conventions? I ask because four of the entries have words that begin with numbers.
>
> 008E;SINGLE-SHIFT 2;control
> 008F;SINGLE-SHIFT 3;control
> 0091;PRIVATE USE 1;control
> 0092;PRIVATE USE 2;control

This is a good point.

While the restriction is silly, the character name matching rules
disregard both hyphens and spaces.

Under the rules, the following strings are all equivalent

SINGLE-SHIFT1
SINGLE-SHIFT 1
SINGLE-SHIFT-1
SINGLE SHIFT 1
SINGLE SHIFT-1

(as would the dozens of permutations that introduced hyphens / spaces at
other positions)

Given those matching rules, if the formal alias were to be

SINGLE-SHIFT-1

any programming environment could still recognize the name SINGLE-SHIFT
1 as underneath, all would match to

SINGLESHIFT1

Perhaps the formal aliases should be corrected in the draft file to
simply follow the established naming conventions, without introducing
yet another level of exception.

A./