Re: [OT] Reusing the same property (was: RE: PRI #202: Extensions to NameAliases.txt for Unicode 6.1.0)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:08:43 +0200

2011/8/31 Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>:
> Philippe Verdy wrote:
>> the existing
>> BCP 47 implementations, but that would limit the may-be future
>> extension of ISO 639 to longer codes): ISO 639 could immediately say
>> that it will never allocate any language code (of any length) starting
>> by qa..qz.
>
> Not possible; 'qu' is already taken for Quechua.  And not necessary:
> 'qaa' through 'qtz' are reserved.

I said using the prefixes starting by "qa..qt", these prefixes are not
supposed to be used alone, there must be additional letters. so this
does not apply to "qu" alone (yes, assigned to the Quechua
macrolanguage, or isn't it a language subfamily ?).

But I admit that there's an additional caveat: BCP47 opens all codes
with 5 to 8 characters to possible registration in the IANA registry.
I have not checked if there were some registration of language tags
starting by "qa..qt" in the IANA registry, but there's apaprently no
policy defined to forbid such registration.

And your "not necessary" comment does not apply here too: it just
assigns the 3-letter codes for local use, not the longer codes which
are only reserved for the 4-letter codes, but not assigned for private
use (and there's also no provision given in ISO 649 to protect an
encoding space for 5-letter codes or longer, as they are now usable
for IANA registration).