Re: Canadian aboriginal syllabics in vertical writing mode

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 12:27:38 +0100

On 1 May 2012, at 11:16, suzuki toshiya wrote:

> In current draft of UTR#50, the properties for Canadian aboriginal syllabics
> are defined as "U; S; S;". But seeing the PDFs like
> http://www.gov.nu.ca/save10/English/Documents/Newsletters/Newsletter%203/Newsletter%203%20-%20Inuktitut.pdf
> http://www.cley.gov.nu.ca/pdf/Documentary%20Art%20Project_Inuk.pdf
> it is questionable if the default value "U" is preferred.

I don't know what "U" means, but that rotation is weird and confusing and not legible. In a cross-word, vertical text goes from to to bottom with no rotation.

> I cannot exclude the possibility that this rotated text is forced by the
> limitation of printing software, but, the tuning of the positions for
> the small glyphs for glottal stop and final sounds (U+141C - U+142A,
> U+14D0 - U+14D2, etc etc) should be discussed if "U" is preferred value.

You are GUESSING. Don't guess, please.

You cannot rotate Canadian Syllabics because when you do the letter-values change. The two examples you have shown are examples of extremely bad typographic choices.

> Does anybody have "manually written" Canadian aboriginal syllabics in vertical writing mode?

Crosswords go from top to bottom with no rotation

That is the only thing that is immediately still legible in Syllabics.