Mark-Driven Script Categorisation

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 00:52:04 +0100

On Wed, 16 May 2012 15:32:31 -0700
Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com> wrote:

> On 5/16/2012 2:54 PM, Richard Wordingham wrote:

> > I have been wondering if U+0078 LATIN
> > SMALL LETTER X should be made common script because of its use for
> > displaying Lao vowels, but perhaps the principle of separation of
> > scripts should lead to LAO LETTER SMALL X.
>
> Please, no! ;-)
>
> Orthographies which mix in random characters from other scripts do not
> (or should not) drive the identity of characters for *scripts* per se.
> And edge cases for making mixed script collation work should not drive
> such decisions, either.

So how do we tell writers of rendering engines that it is OK to
have U+0078 with Lao vowel marks? (I'm not entirely convinced this is
the reason for having 'x' on the Lao keyboard.) I'm still not seeing
much sign that they believe that all marks may be allowed on U+00A0
NO-BREAK SPACE or on U+025CC DOTTED CIRCLE.

Richard.