Re: [unicode] Re: Canadian aboriginal syllabics in vertical writing mode

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 18:59:40 +0100

On 17 May 2012, at 18:35, Julian Bradfield wrote:

> It took me a little while, but I finally managed to put this to an
> Inuktitut speaker (Leena Evic of the Pirurvik Centre in Iqaluit, Nunavut).

I had a response from a number of school curriculum developers in Nunavut.

> Her response was that the rotated sidebars on the newsletter cited
> earlier are entirely readable (in fact, I had to explain how there
> could possibly be a problem), and that the vertical layout advocated
> by Michael is "not common, and in most cases not ideal."

My respondants did not address this issue. They understood what was asked, and gave a clear response.

> It would thus appear that Michael is alone in finding rotated
> syllabics hard to read.
> He might have more luck with a language that doesn't use finals or
> other raised letters, but off-hand I can't find one.

Remarkable.

The answer I received was that in vertical text, most of the group preferred (d) in the "Aamuu"/"Atim" example (with the final bound to its syllable) though some of them also found (b) acceptable (with the final below the syllable) as long as the ᒻ character is smaller than the others.