Re: Mark-Driven Script Categorisation

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 22:14:55 +0200

2012/5/17 Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>:
> On Thu, 17 May 2012 20:41:19 +0200
> Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Is it really the Latin letter x in question there, if it's use is to
>> be a visible placeholder to hold diacritic vowel marks ? The Latin
>> letter has the problem of is dual case (not found in the Lao script,
>> and a too large variation across many font styles, when the
>> multiplication sign × would probably fit better for its use as a
>> placeholder.
>
> You're the only other person I've met who thinks that it is
> U+00D7 MULTIPLICATION SIGN, but the evidence is against us.  Emacs,
> Ununtu and Windows all reckon that the Lao keyboard has 'x'.

It has x just like the rest of the Basic Latin alphabet, in one of its
input modes. This does not mean it is used to write the Lao language
itself. Otherwise are you saying that all Basic Latin letters
(possibly more if you include letters added by foreign toponyms and
trademarks or for the transliteration of Lato names for international
purposes) are part of the Lao script ?