Re: Mark-Driven Script Categorisation

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 23:26:51 +0100

On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:56:51 +0200
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Oh well... then the next time we'll discuss about including the Han
> sinograms in the Latin script because we find discussions in English
> about these sinograms. Then we'll start mixing all scripts together as
> if they were all in the same system.

The only rendering problem I can see in your example is line-breaking -
plurals meaning multiple instances of the character could be a
challenge. U+2060 WORD JOINER should fix issues. However, the problem
is that with current technology, the 'x' needs to be included in a Lao
script run with the vowel marks applying to it so that they will be
rendered on it properly. It's similar to the colouring problem
- current technology prevents one colouring base consonants and
combining marks differently, whereas older technology has no problem
with colouring them differently.

Richard.