Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 14:56:36 -0600

Andreas Prilop wrote:

>> That release will include the new character, U+20BA TURKISH LIRA
>> SIGN.
>
> Will it also include U+20BB NEW DRACHMA SIGN ?

and Charlie Ruland replied:

> The Greek parliament and other authorities have not decided to
> reintroduce the drachma, so the answer is no.

I suspect Andreas was making a facetious commentary. But if the Greek
authorities do make that decision, and if they are drinking the same
currency-sign powdered drink mix as Turkey [1], and India before them,
I'm sure we will see a proposal from Greece right away.

[1] "The Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey (CBRT) organized a
Competition for the Turkish Lira Sign to further enhance the prestige
and to raise worldwide recognition of the Turkish lira. [...] While
selecting the Turkish lira currency sign, two marked features of the
Turkish lira and the Turkish economy were highlighted in accordance with
the principles set forth by the Board. These are; 'confidence' and
'steadily rising value'. The anchor-like sign emphasizes that the
Turkish lira has become a 'safe haven'. The upward pointing parallel
lines symbolize the 'steadily rising value' of the Turkish lira and the
Turkish economy."

I wish the Unicode Consortium would remove the link to that page from
their blog. It could fool newcomers into thinking these bogus marketing
goals played a part in getting the Turkish lira sign into Unicode. New
currency signs get code points because UTC believes they will soon enter
widespread use in plain text, not because UTC wishes to "enhance the
prestige" of a national currency, or endorse it as a "safe haven," or
make a statement as to its "steadily rising value." What bunkum.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­