Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 23:22:12 +0100

It is very unlikely that the standards bodies will let the Greek National Body add a different Drachma sign to the standard. They never used the one they have.

I am the person who wrote the proposal to encode the current character on behalf of the Greek NB, and their original draft used a Wingdings florette for the glyph because they had no other. Why had they no other? Because they had no currency sign. We encoded an unembodied soul.

A while back I made a Proposal to change the glyph for the DRACHMA SIGN, in http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3866.pdf which does show an actual glyph that was at one time used.

I never had a report from the UTC about this. I assume they rejected the proposal.

If Greece ceases to use the euro and uses the drachma instead, and if they create any kind of symbol for it, I think whatever glyph is devised will be applied to the existing character.