Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 20:20:22 +0100

On 29 May 2012, at 20:00, Doug Ewell wrote:

> I was specifically, and only, referring to a character proposal—any proposal—being dubbed "urgent" on the basis that a font hack has been identified.

For a currency symbol, a proliferation of ASCII hacks for the character would do nobody any good.

Currently, most Unifon fonts are ASCII hacks. That doesn't make it urgent, because millions of people aren't suddenly wanting to use any of those characters. But millions of " ¨ " characters representing what is now ₺ -- which you will see if you are using the updated Everson Mono :-) -- would be a very bad thing indeed.

I therefore defend my use of "urgent" in both the ₹ and ₺ signs.