Re: Flag tags

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 11:06:08 +0200

2012/5/31 Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>:
> On 5/30/2012 7:19 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
>>
>> 2012/5/31 Michael Everson<everson_at_evertype.com>:
>>>
>>> On 31 May 2012, at 00:24, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
>>> Members of ISO National Bodies quite properly thought that it is
>>> inapprioprate for an International Standard to encode the flags of some
>>> countries and not the flags of others. You can stuff your condescension,
>>> Mark.
>>
>> I fully agree. Either all of them or none of them (or just a generic
>> white flag).
>
> No at least the black pirate flag, and the checkered flag (for car racing).

There are two black pirate flags. One is all black (the most generic
one), another has bones and skullhead. OK these ones are generic
enough to not convey country/territory specific information.

There are also conventional sky blue flags used in Europe (may be
elsewhere) for the quality of waters. There may be others used for
signaling (including surveillance of beaches and dangers for swimming
: red, orange, green) : may be unified with the all-black flag (if
color is not really encoded but assignable by external styles).

If you add the flag cor car racing, then why wouldn't there flags used
in other transportation areas ?

Add also flags used as maritime alphabets (they are a true script by
themselves, whose mapping to actual letters depend on the locale's
script, so they are not really a visual variant of any script, just
like the Braille script is not tied to Latin), or othe "ideographic"
flags displayed much like the pirate flag (e.g. signaling deceases on
board)...