Re: Flag tags

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 18:57:17 +0100

On 31 May 2012, at 18:51, Asmus Freytag wrote:

> The right answer would have been to encode the 10 flags and then agree to *study* the needs for and best solutions available to address a more comprehensive system "at a future date". The main problem I see in that regard is impatience.

ISO NBs were, correctly, uncomfortable with the idea of encoding the flags of some countries and not of others. As representative of one of those NBs, I have no regrets about having made our proposal, which is still better than the current solution.

> It's like with currency symbols - you code things when there's demonstrated demand, you don't put place holders in, and you don't give codes to all the three letter currency codes (like "USD" "CND" etc.).

When you encode a flag for Germany and the US, you automatically get a demand for the encoding of a flag for Ireland and Iceland. That's the way it is. And no, waiting for some vendor to put more flags in the phone is not going to solve it. If you don't understand the politics of this matter, well, I can't help you to do it.