RE: Flag tags

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 12:00:08 -0700

One possible problem with either (a) encoding flags or (b) encouraging
the display of Regional Indicator Symbols as flags is that some authors
would want to use them to indicate the language of the text that
follows. I'm not talking about inline, plain-text "language tagging" in
the sense that UTC frowns upon, but literally a visual display of a
flag.

It's common, particularly in Europe, to see English-language text marked
with a Union Jack, French-language text marked with the flag of France,
and so forth. Of course, we all know the problems with using national
flags to indicate languages, but it's common practice nevertheless.
Having Unicode characters for flags, especially well-supported ones,
might encourage this practice.

Of course, the Japanese phone users might have been doing this all along
with the existing 10 emoji flags.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­