User-Hostile Text Editing (was: Unicode String Models)

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 00:52:11 +0100

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 23:16:17 +0000
Murray Sargent <murrays_at_exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

> My latest blog post “Ligatures, Clusters, Combining Marks and
> Variation
> Sequences<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/murrays/archive/2012/06/30/ligatures-clusters-combining-marks-and-variation-sequences.aspx>”
> discusses some of these complications.

Are there any widely available ways of enabling the deleting of the
first character in a default grapheme cluster? Having carefully added
two or more marks to a base character, I find it extremely irritating
to find I have entered the wrong base character and have to type the
whole thing again. As one can delete the last character in a cluster,
why not the first? It's not as though the default grapheme cluster is
usually thought of as a single character.

Richard.