Re: (Informational only: UTF-8 BOM and the real life)

From: Steven Atreju <snatreju_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:46:56 +0200

Rick McGowan <rick_at_unicode.org> wrote:

 |No. That wasn't CP/M... It was a different OS.

Oh yes, according to Wikipedia my remembrance was wrong. Sorry.

"Doug Ewell" <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:

 |Steven Atreju wrote:
 |
 |> I'm learning in this thread.
 |> (And CP/M was that thing that Microsoft bought cheap to sell it
 |> expensively the very next day to IBM as their consumer box OS.?!
 |
 |This history isn't correct either, but I'm not going to bother going

It was remembrance aquired by reading only, anyway.

 |The approach offered by common libraries isn't perfect, doesn't claim to
 |be, and doesn't need to be. It converts between LF and CRLF, and maybe
 |also handles bare CR (I don't remember). This is computationally
 |trivial.

This is trivial.
And refuted by reality.
I was about to write about our internal approach, using a class
Newline and a class NewlineFind which also has a classify(). Note
that we have solutions to recognize the type of newline of a file,
and note even more that the file will be written in exactly the
same way, too, and as necessary.
In this stormy context here this is absolutely remarkable.

But you're terribly right, because compared to Unicode
normalization and collation these processor cache heaters are
really trivial tasks. The thing i hate the most is that zero-copy
linewise reading seems to be history, because practically I/O
libraries always have a(t least one) layer that has to be passed,
for the text-encoding. Well.

 |> But this is good for the power industry and
 |> the hardware producers, is it.
 |
 |Please, no more conspiracy theories.

And i would be pleased if you would not tear up sentences of mine
and out of their context, shall i ever have to say something useful
on this list again.

 |Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
 |http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­

Thanks and Ciao,