Re: Is that character *+A7AC LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SCRIPT G ?

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 02:54:40 -0800

On 1/10/2013 2:08 AM, Otto Stolz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> le 09/01/2013 18:07, Frédéric Grosshans a écrit :
>> Yes, but I actually don't know. I'd really like to have some idea on
>> those old
>> printing techniques, but I fear we're drifting to off topic subjects...
>
> Am 2013-01-09 um 18:16 schrieb Frédéric Grosshans:
>> Actually, the preceding tool combined with
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimeograph would be my best (uninformed)
>> guess.
>
> I’d rather guess, he used this technique:
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_transfer>.
> I have used it myself, in the 70s, to insert all those
> Greek symbols into the formulae in my Dipl.-Phys. thesis.
> It renders much clearer glyphs than the mimeograph
> technique.
>
> Best wishes,
> Otto Stolz

LetraSet (the market leader at the time) was indeed widely used by the
70s, but was this available as early as the date of the manuscript?

The hallmark are aboslutely indentical shape, but with strong likelihood
of small positioning errors (in both axes and rotation). The latter
should show up on careful examination. Sometimes a letter could "tear"
or the thin foild that could "fold" or "crease" upon transfer. Usually,
in a careful production one would redo the letter, but sometimes such
small imperfections survive - they look very different from defects in
other forms of typography.

A./