Re: Case-folding dotted i

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:15:25 +0000

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 23:46:33 +0100
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> For this reason Turkic
> texts *should* encode the hard-dotted lower case i as i+dot above, and
> not just as i alone. But when the language used in the text is clear,
> the extra encoding of the explicit "hard" dot above is almost always
> forgotten and for legacy reasons, most Turkic texts do not use this
> extra dot above, but it does not mean that its presence is incorrect
> (it will be needed in multilingual documents, or when using some
> Medieval-style fonts that do NOT display any dot above U+0069 and
> U+006A and that require the explicit U+0307 to render the hard dot
> needed for Turkish).

If text is going to be processed, i+dot is wrong for Turkish, as the
Unicode casing rules for Turkish will capitalise it to I+dot+dot, which
should display with two dots. If you're going to use an explicit dot,
I'd have said <U+0131, U+0307> would be better, though I still think
using an explicit dot is wrong in general.

Richard.