RE: Long-term archiving of electronic text documents

From: Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:53:24 +0000

> UTF-256 allows each hex digit of UTF-32 to be expressed as an ASCII hex digit (characters 0-9 and A-F encoded as bytes 0x30-0x39 and 0x41-0x46).

In my experience, I lose an entire block of a disk, or track, or drive, so redundancy at the character level isn’t likely to be very helpful, you’d need a minimum of 2 blocks/character following that logic. Fortunately you did mention the scalability of UTF-256.

Historically, my biggest challenge with electronic data over time is being able to read the file… Nothing’s really “plain text”, so formats (and media) evolve and change. Reading/converting my old C64 or Amiga stuff is a bit difficult these days.

-Shawn