Re: Long-term archiving of electronic text documents

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:07:51 -0500

On 01/28/2013 07:30 AM, William_J_G Overington wrote:
> A document saved as UTF-64 may well take four times as many bytes as such a Unicode Text Document, yet there would be the error checking and correction facilities at a character level.

It seems to me that the character-encoding level is the wrong one for
adding error-correction. That isn't Plain Text. Surely there are
already protocols for encoding data with error-correcting codes, if only
the ones we use for transmission of data. This sounds like a transform
that should be applied separately from character encoding.

~mark