Re: Ideograms

From: Charlie Ruland <ruland_at_luckymail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 21:08:27 +0100

Yes, and on page 145 DeFrancis comes to the following conclusion:

/Chinese characters represent words (or better, morphemes), not ideas,
and they represent them phonetically, for the most part, as do all real
writing systems despite their diverse techniques and differing
effectiveness in accomplishing the task./

The chapter these lines are from is also on-line:
http://www.pinyin.info/readings/texts/ideographic_myth.html .

Charlie

* Tim Greenwood <timothy_at_greenwood.name> [2013-01-30 20:17]: