Armenian typography, letter t

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 13:30:59 +0100 (BST)

This isn't really a Unicode question at all, but I know this list is
probably the best place to find the answer;-)

I'm putting a snippet of Armenian into a lecture slide, and the font
easily available to me renders the letter տ ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER TIWN
with a descending middle vertical, as indeed does the font in which my
editor is currently displaying.
However, the fonts my browser uses, and the few examples of printed
Armenian I have to hand, don't have a descender.

Is this a completely free stylistic variation, or does the choice have
any connotations? (I imagine it's to make it more distinct from ա AYB.)

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.