Re: ¥ instead of \

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 01:18:17 +0200

For ISO 646 and all variants of ASCII (incluing JIS, HKCS, GB...) may be,
but this should hve never affected the UCS. These were separate encoding sta
ndards, that have clear distinctive mppings of their code position 5C to
the correct codepoints in the UCS.
MSDOS anywy did not use the UCS but one of these legcy encodings. Even today
if you use the console apps in Windows, they use the setting of the codepage
with CHCP, to determine how Windows will map these codepages to the UCS for
rendering with its UCS-encoded fonts.

There's no excuse for fonts embedding an Unicode mapping to use the wrong
code points in their glyph mappings, even if they include also a
separate mapping
for legacy codepages specific to some OS. Those fonts are incorrect.