Re: Why doesn't Ideographic (ID) in UAX#14 have half-width katakana?

From: Ken Whistler <kenwhistler_at_att.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 07:17:31 -0700

Koji,

Personally, I don't have a horse in this race, because I am not
responsible for
any linebreaking implementation -- so a change for halfwidth katakana
wouldn't
matter one way or the other to me.

Secondly, there is no formal stability guarantee constraining Line_Break
property
values (other than the generic guarantee that the property itself or
existing aliases cannot be *removed* from the standard). Nor is there
any stability guarantee regarding the rest of the algorithm definition
in UAX #14.
So in principle, the UTC could rewrite it completely. But I doubt that
that would
be in anybody's interest at this point. ;-)

But as I see it, the way this should work is for the major stakeholders
who *do*
have implemented linebreaking algorithms depending on UAX #14 working
in released products (and that would include people speaking for various
browsers and for Apple products in general, I think) should be the ones
either pushing for a change, because it would make their behavior more
correct
and acceptable for Japanese, or pushing back *against* a change, because
they
depend on UAX #14 stability and would prefer tweaking the behavior in their
implementations, instead. So I'd like to see a formal proposal for a change
(specified *exactly* as to the set of characters affected) brought to
the UTC,
where implementers and users of ICU could make the case for or against.

The other thing that I think would need to happen here is that any proposal
should also provide suggested wording for UAX #14 which would explain
why halfwidth katakana specifically need to break with the general
principles
that were used 15 years ago to assign LB classes based on East_Asian_Width
considerations, and instead need to match the LB classes of their
fullwidth katakana counterparts. That should be made explicit in the text
of UAX #14, so somebody else doesn't "discover" another inconsistency
between sets of values and try to change things back later on -- not knowing
the rationale for the values.

Because a well-formed proposal for a change like this involves both
a justification for a property value change *and* a corresponding fix
to annex text, I think this is too late in the cycle to be taken as just
beta feedback for the Version 8.0 release, unfortunately. Because of
the potential hit on existing implementations (and test cases), this needs
full review, and should instead be pushed as an early proposal for
the Version 9.0 release cycle.

--Ken