RE: Flag tags with U+1F3F3 and subtypes

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 13:10:38 -0700

Markus Scherer <markus dot icu at gmail dot com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell from your quotes, CLDR will say what's valid
> (plus containment info), and Unicode permits you to show a flag for
> any valid tag. North Lanarkshire seems perfectly fine.

I'm under the impression that this will be a standard Unicode mechanism,
defined in principle by TUS and in detail by the upcoming revision of
UTR #51, with data (but no additional rules) supplied by CLDR.

> I am curious to see if the redundant hyphen will be part of the
> syntax.

Like Philippe, I don't believe the hyphen is "redundant." ISO 3166-2
requires it (Section 5.2), and the syntax diagram at the end of
L2/15-145R shows it:

B ((TL{2} (TH (TL|TD){3})?) | (TD{3}))

where TH is TAG HYPHEN-MINUS.

--