Re: Tag characters

From: Mark Davis ☕️ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 22:18:59 -0700

​A few notes.

A more concrete proposal will be in a PRI to be issued soon, and people
will have a chance to comment more then. (I'm not trying to discourage
discussion, just pointing out that there will be something more concrete
relatively soon to comment on—people are pretty busy getting 8.0 out the
door right now.)

The principal reason for 3 digit codes is because that is the mechanism
used by BCP47 in case ISO screws up codes (as they did for CS).

The syntax does not need to follow the 3166 syntax - the codes correspond
but are not the same anyway. So we didn't see the necessity for the hyphen,
syntactically.

There is a difference between EU and UN; the former is in BCP47. That being
said, we could look at making the exceptionally reserved codes valid for
this purpose (or at least the UN code). It appears that there are only 3
exceptionally reserved codes that aren't in BCP47: EZ, UK, UN.

Just because a code is valid doesn't mean that there is a flag associated
with it. Just like the fact that you can have the BCP47 code ja-Ahom-AQ
doesn't mean that it denotes anything useful. I'd expect vendors to not
waste time with non-existent flags. However, we could also discuss having a
mechanism in CLDR to help provide guidelines as to which subdivisions are
suitable as flags.

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*