Re: FYI: The world?s languages, in 7 maps and charts

From: Jim Breen <jimbreen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 09:15:28 +1000

 "Mark Davis" wrote:

>> Hmmm. How accurate can it be? They forgot Austria, and got Switzerland
>> wrong by almost a power of 10.

I was a little surprised to see only 15.6 Australians speak English, which led
me to wonder what the other 8 million of us speak.

I see that the ethnologue site they used quotes the 2006 Australian census
as saying the population was 15.6 million. I can't imagine where they got
that, as that census reported the population as being just under 20 million. The
2011 census recorded the population at 21.7 million. I guess if they are
prone to using inaccurate data from old sources, it explains some of
the other oddities in that map.

Jim Breen

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University