Re: "Bunny hill" symbol, used in America for signaling ski pistes for novices

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 23:00:29 +0200

What you'd like is in act similar to the zero-width joiner, between two
combining sequences, to make them overlap. A sort of "negative-width"
joiner that we could call "overlay joiner".
So '!' + OVERLAY JOINER + '?' = '‽'.

But in legacy charsets, this role was encoded as a BACKSPACE control (it
was used to produce combining accents as well, by combining a letter and a
*spacing* accent), and I think it is still a solution for the same problem
without needing a new character.
So '!' + BACKSPACE + '?' = '‽'.

emoji_u1f407.png