Re: "Bunny hill" symbol, used in America for signaling ski pistes for novices

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 23:26:00 +0200

> Looks like a green circle is the symbol for a beginner slope. (The first
> link also shows that "piste" is the European word for what we call a
> trail, run, or slope). There is no difference between a "bunny slope"
> and a "beginner" or "novice" slope.

The difference is obvious in Europe where the "novice" difficulty is marked
as green pistes (slopes are below 30% or almost flat), and the
"beginner/moderate" difficulty is marked as blue pistes (slopes about
30-35%).

Even America must have this "novice" difficulty, with areas mostly used by
young children (with their parents not skiing but following them by foot,
and a restriction of speeds); these areas are protected so that other
skiers will not pass through them. In fact if you remain on these novice
areas you cannot reach any speed that could cause dangerous shocks: you
have to "push" to advance, otherwise you'll slow down naturally and stop on
the snow.

These areas can be used by walkers, and randonners using "raquettes".